Manhattan Immigration Attorneys
More Than 30 Years of Combined Experience in Immigration Law
Our attorneys have over 30 years combined experience in immigration law, and we provide a unique personal approach to each and every case.
Immigration attorneys at Schonfeld & Ushan are known for their responsiveness to each client’s specific needs, dedication to finding the most successful legal approach to each case, and their sensitivity to cultural concerns and language barriers.
We have extensive experience in guiding clients through immigration processes, and we make every effort to keep our clients continuously informed of each step in their case.
We Specialize in the Following Areas of Immigration:
We have extensive experience in guiding families through the immigration process and we are dedicated to helping you and your immediate relative sponsor thoroughly prepare for your interview in order to achieve the most successful results possible. We address legal issues pertaining to eligibility requirements for sponsors, admissibility of foreign relatives, waiting lists, and restrictions on the number of family-based immigrants allowed to immigrate to the United States each year.
Our firm handles most immediate relative petitions, including:
- Spousal Petitions
- Parent/Child and Sibling Petitions
- Battered Spouse, Child, and Parent Petitions
- Consular Processing
- Fiancé Visas
Important News: Same-Sex Marriages
After a recent decision effective immediately, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will review immigration visa petitions filed on behalf of a same-sex spouse in the same manner as those filed on behalf of an opposite-sex spouse.
Employment-Based Nonimmigrant Visas:
We have years of experience in obtaining nonimmigrant visas for foreign nationals to enable them to work legally in the United States.
- Professionals With Specialized Knowledge In A Specialty Occupation
- Individuals With Extraordinary Ability Or Achievement such as musicians, fashion models and actors.
- Traders and E-2 Treaty Investors Visas
- Visas for nonimmigrant unskilled workers in temporary or seasonal work
- Visas permitting short-term entry for meetings, conferences, seminars or other events
- Religious workers
- Visas for executives and managers transferring from other countries to United States' subsidiaries or regional offices of the employer corporation
We have been successful in obtaining student visas for our clients who wish to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies in the United States
- F Visas for academic students
- M Visas for vocational students
- J Visas for educational and cultural exchange programs.
Our firm specializes in asylum cases of individuals who have been persecuted based on their race, religion, national origin, political opinion, or membership in a social group. We focus on cases dealing with:
- Religious Persecution, particularly in the Middle-East (Jewish, Coptic Christian, Sunni, and Shiite). Services available in Arabic.
- Gender-Based Persecution, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, rape, female-genital mutilation, and generalized persecution of women.
- Political Opinion or Social Group, including persecution based on sexual orientation, forced abortion, involuntary sterilization, torture, and humanitarian asylum.
We defend non-citizens who are facing deportation or removal. If you have been placed in removal proceedings, obtaining adequate legal representation is critical in protecting your rights.
If you or your family member is interested in becoming a naturalized citizen, we will help determine if you are eligible, guide you through the forms and process, and help to thoroughly prepare you for your citizenship interview.
This is the process is necessary for those living abroad seeking to enter the United States legally or trying to bring family members, fiancés, or employees in other countries to the U.S. We can guide you through the process of applying for an immigrant visa through the National Visa Center and a U.S. consulate overseas.
Employment-Based Immigrant Visas:
Our firm specializes in obtaining legal permanent residency through employment for our clients. If you are seeking to immigrate to the United States based on your job skills we will determine which employment category you qualify for and guide you through Labor Certification process if necessary.
- Persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors or researchers; and multinational executives and managers.
- Persons with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business
- Professionals and skilled workers
- “Special immigrants,” such as religious workers, and alien minors who are wards of courts in the United States
- Business investors
Our firm has years of experience in obtaining successful uncontested divorces for many clients. If you and your spouse have agreed on the terms of the divorce we can finalize your divorce action in an efficient manner.
The office Schonfeld and Ushan treated me with great kindness and patience in what was a terribly stressful experience. I was in deportation proceedings in New York for two years. My lawyer’s knowledge of the laws allowed her to have the case reconsidered and the denial was reversed within seven weeks. Now that I have my green card I have petitioned for my 3 children from Accra Ghana who I have not seen in 8 years.
I recently received my Green Card. The office of Schonfeld and Ushan’s has brought me great joy. They have changed my life. Ken Schonfeld was amazing throughout the entire process. He was always available and very prompt in addressing my concerns and questions.
I am a Shia Muslim. I was a victim of persecution in my homeland Pakistan. Schonfeld & Ushan successfully won my asylum case. I am now a green card holder. I can practice my religion without fear of being killed.
My university wanted to sponsor me for my green card as an outstanding research scientist. My lawyer prepared and submitted my documents in an extreme timely and professional manner. My case was approved almost immediate. I am now a research scientist at Rockefeller University. Thank you Schonfeld and Ushan.
I am extremely grateful to the office of Schonfeld and Ushan for their efforts in preparing a waiver of fraud and inadmissibility. Thanks you for the great service. My husband is now a green card holder.
My lawyer spent a great deal of time and expertise to get the labor certification filed by my employer on my behalf certified after failed attempts by other lawyers. I am very thankful for Schonfeld and Ushan’s.
I was greatly impressed by the efficiency with which Schonfeld and Ushan’s handled our immigration case. Marilyn Ushan reassured us and alleviated our fears. It took only seven months from the date our application was filed to the time we received the green card for which we were applying. Her guidance made the whole process less stressful than it would have otherwise been.
I hold the office of Schonfeld and Ushan in high regards. They understand your story. My lawyer was completely thorough in preparing your case for immigration court and I am now a United States permanent resident.
Schonfeld & Ushan got VAWA self petition approved and I am now a green card holder. I now can hope for the future free from domestic violence.